Thursday 17 March 2016

Chalk board animation workshop - Deforestation





This was my first attempt at creating a chalk board animation. I used a piece of black A2 card and chalk as well as cut out paper images and toy cars as props. I decided to focus on the theme deforestation as this is an on going issue across the world. I used Imotion to capture the images and create a stop motion animation. I took frequent pictures and began by drawing the world which I coloured in and took a photograph at each stage. This gave the impression that the colours were just appearing on the page. I liked how this looked as it captured colour being added to the page and looked effective. I began with a scene of grass with a bright blue sky. To show how the world looks before deforestation. I added cut out trees one by one as well as a bird flying across. I was pleased with this as I was able to show movement across the page by rubbing the bird out re drawing it and photographing it again. One by one I removed each tree and replaced it with a building. I thought this showed how quick nature can be industrialised. It was as if the buildings were just popping up and taking over! I feel this really represented deforestation. I think the quote at the end worked very well as it is a powerful message and can have a lasting effect on people. 'don't take this planet for granted'.

If I was to improve this animation I would use a tripod to capture the image more accurately. It looked a little rough as the animation was abit unstable. I feel that it could be neatened up slightly.








The animation above had been created using a chalkboard animation. The animation is titled autumn story. The chalk board animation was a collaboration between Yanni Kronenberg and Luncinda Schreiber. The process involved creating drawings on chalkboard and then erasing an area to create the next movement. Each movement would be done in small steps so the stop motion footage can flow. Here the artists have smudged each chalk drawing before drawing the image to leave the evidence of each scene behind. This creates a ghostly effect. This figure is erased and drawn again to show the illusion of movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment